Rob Dubois' Weblog

I am the Interfacer since 1992.

Name:
Location: Canada

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Rob, the Diabetes Survivor

It was April 2004. I had been experiencing stomach pains like cramps, but it was continuous. I went to see the doctor and he sent me for clinical tests. The pain was the result of a hernia, but the tests turned up something unexpected.

My doctor told me I had a condition called metabolic syndrome, otherwise know as pre-diabetes. This is not the same as full blown diabetes. Diabetes is a disease where the pancreas creates too little insulin or no insulin at all.

Pre-diabetes is a condition where the pancreas is still working, but as in my case, it's working at four to five times the rate as a normally functioning pancreas. This in itself is not harmful, as any excess insulin exits the body naturally. The problem is, unless I change my lifestyle, my pancreas will burn itself out in a few years. The doctor said I'm sure to become diabetic if I continue the way I was. I was 225 lbs., inactive and a complacent eater.

I thought it quite odd when the doc asked me to take a week or two to think about my decision. The choices were; 1 - change my lifestyle with proper diet and exercise or, 2 - start a regime of pills and appointments to deal with the symptoms. I told the doc I don't need a week or even a minute to decide.

I began a new healthy routine. Most important of all, I started exercising regularly. This includes a walk of 3 - 4 km every day on my lunch break, bowling every week and cycling or swimming when ever I can. It was a bit hard to start, but now it's habit.

Changing my diet was a much greater challenge. I was on a pizza, cheeseburger, fries, soda pop, tortia chips and chocolate diet. I knew very little about balanced nutrition, but I was willing to learn.

I had some guidance from my doctor's dietitian and did some research on my own. I learned that a proper, healthy diet must include protein, carbohydrates, fiber, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA), vitamins and nutrients. I was mixing all these ingredients each morning into a breakfast shake.

One day I saw an article in a local newspaper that described a product called, VEGA. This stuff has all the essential ingredients for balanced nutrition. It's a whole meal replacement. Vega was developed by a Canadian Ironman triathlete named, Brendan Brazier. This is exactly what I need to start each day with proper nutrition. I started taking half the recommended amount and after several weeks I began taking the full portion every morning.


Now, after nearly two years of lifestyle alteration, I'm feeling great. In fact, in February 2006, I attended the clinic to check on my condition. The doctor told me my cholesterols are in the safe range, my triglycerides are down, my blood pressure is normal and my weight is close to ideal. In other words, I've successfully reduced my chances of developing diabetes.

I told my doctor that I feel like I'm in my twenties again - I'm 46. His response, "I wish I felt that way." - he's 40.

Now it's just a matter of keeping up the routine and praying to God.

By the way - this is not a quick remedy for weight loss. I lost only one or two pounds each month over about two years. My goal is not weight loss, but to slow the rate which my pancreas operates - losing weight is just a side effect.

I asked my doctor if it is possible to defeat diabetes, so that it doesn't affect me the rest of my life. He said, yes - other people have done it, but he won't be able to declare me safe from diabetes for several years. After all it took me years or decades to develop my bad habits. He said we should have a look at my condition when the Olympics come to Vancouver, in 2010. I will be fifty years old and the doctor will be able to review my history, check my current condition and declare me safe or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home